Call to Artists
City of Virginia Beach, VA
Rudee Underpass Walkway Murals
Deadline - July 10, 2017, 5:00 p.m. (EDT)
The City of Virginia Beach, VA and the Office of Cultural Affairs is seeking Informal Request for Proposals (RFP) from qualified artists or artist teams to provide site-specific murals for the Rudee Underpass Walkway, a 10-foot wide walkway that extends under the Rudee Inlet Bridge.
The painted murals located under the Rudee overpass will be along a highly visible pedestrian foot/bike path and serve as a welcoming space for visitors, residents and families. The area is widely used by residents and visitors for activities such as boating, kayaking, fishing, surfing, parasailing and sightseeing. This RFP seeks qualified artist(s) to provide site-specific murals that will create excitement and interest for the community and transform the Rudee Underpass Walkway into an exciting work of art. (See Appendix A, B, and C, separate pdf attachments).
The murals will be painted on the concrete surfaces of the abutment, and both bents (the two rows of flat supporting columns) and their headers (totaling approximately 3,120 total sq. ft.). It is the objective to have the design viewed from all directions and that the murals are thematically tied.
Rudee Inlet, a harbor of happiness, is home to beautiful boats, amazing restaurants and aquatic adventures like none other in Virginia Beach. A tourist and locals favorite, Rudee Inlet is a great place to meander around the docks and watch the fishing
and sport boats
coming and going. With a number of fantastic fishing charters
available as well as plenty of chances to get out and play on the water with boat tours
, surfing, parasailing
, paddle boarding
, and fishing, it’s no wonder Rudee Inlet is the place where fun on the water begins. But you don’t have to get wet to enjoy Rudee Inlet’s bounty. With a wide variety of awesome restaurants overlooking the water, a fork is all you need for an adventure of your own. So however you choose to live the life, you can find it on the docks of Rudee Inlet. See Appendix C for images of surrounding site. For more information, visit
Up to $18,500 to include an artist stipend and all expenses.
Artists and/or artist teams must be at least 18 years old. There are no geographic limitations; however, the City of Virginia Beach and the Office of Cultural Affairs cannot provide housing or transportation. Artists must have previously created large-scale exterior public art projects; carry personal liability insurance for the duration of the project; be willing to meet all contractual obligations and adhere to a strict timeline.
- Serve as a welcoming space for visitors, residents and families.
- Relate thematically to the coastal environment around the site and the waterway.
- Other possible themes include relating to the significance of the area and local activities such as boating, kayaking, fishing, surfing, parasailing etc.
- Create excitement and interest for the community. Appeal to a mass audience.
- Transform the concrete underpass and walkway into art forms.
- Increase public awareness of art.
- Broaden viewers’ perspectives of public spaces within the City of Virginia Beach.
Project Timeline *
- RFP Application Deadline - July 10, 2017
- Selection Panel Review - Week of July 10-14
- Selection Notification - by end of July 2017
- Completion - by August 31, 2017
*Schedule subject to change.
HOW TO APPLY:
Artists must submit the following information digitally on one CD or through email to
RFP Submission Requirements:
- Current Resume detailing professional artistic accomplishments and references from past public art projects (preferably mural projects), including awards if applicable. If applying as a team, submit a separate resume for each team member.
- Digital images of relevant work (minimum of 3, maximum of 10). Images must be labeled, numbered according to order on Image List.
- Image List: List image number, title, media, size, date, location, description of work, commissioning agency.
- Project Approach: Articulate design concept, anticipated installation requirements i.e.: possible closure of surrounding area for installation, anticipated maintenance requirements, estimated number of days of execution and choice of materials (include manufacturer specifications), outline proposed use of students in the process, if any. Limit to one page.
- Visual representation of project proposal: Proposal must include conceptual designs for all three spaces.
- Project Budget. Offeror shall provide a detailed description of the total budget to perform the services. The budget shall identify in separate detail the following: artist stipend, all expenses including design, travel, lodging, required meetings, installation, preparation of site, clean-up, materials and supplies, any equipment needed to install the mural, any necessary permits, bonds, taxes and fees.
- Three Professional References: Contact information for three references should be submitted.
- List of any exceptions taken to the provisions of this RFP.
- Self-addressed, stamped envelope with sufficient postage if you would like your CD and graphics returned.
Cultural Arts Coordinator
Office of Cultural Affairs
201 Market St., Suite 204
Virginia Beach, VA 23462