CALL TO DIGITAL ARTISTS: APPLY NOW TO CREATE WINDOW ART AT THE NEW "VB HIVE" IN TOWN CENTER!
The Virginia Beach Department of Economic Development and VB Hive are looking for three (3) artists / graphic designers whose art will be placed in three (3) sections of exterior windows on the VB Hive façade along the Independence Blvd. and Columbus St. corner.
Each selected artist / graphic designer will be assigned a section of windows which will display their artwork and be installed at the beginning of September.
All selected artists / graphic designers and those who have participated will be invited to the Grand Opening Ceremony to celebrate the space and selected artists /graphic designers.
About the Project
VB Hive is designed to support an innovative and entrepreneurial ecosystem in Hampton Roads through collaboration with the City of Virginia Beach, academic institutions, neighboring cities in Hampton Roads, Small Business Associations, and other entrepreneurial related organizations. Partnerships and collaboration are the core of the center’s approach to supporting small business ownership in the City of Virginia Beach.
What: Window wraps for the building’s façade located at 140
Independence Boulevard (intersection of Independence Blvd.
and Columbus St.).
• Sections are as followed:
• 4 Windows
• (2 Windows– 77” x 68.5”, 2 Windows– 70” x 55”)
• 4 Windows
• (4 Windows – 87.5” x 68.5”)
• 3 Windows
• (1 Window -103” x 41”, 2 Windows – 85” x 54”)
The deadline to submit is August 20, 2021 at 5 p.m.
The City's Public Art Program encompasses a variety of projects. Some include:
- Placemaking projects that activate underused spaces
- Creative collaborations with city agencies and other organizations
- Community artist residencies that allow artists to develop projects collaboratively the community
- Eco art initiatives that invite artists who are interested in environmental issues
Artists can apply for Public Art opportunities which will always be posted on this website. Eligibility requirements may vary for each project, but there are a few requirements for all applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have residence in the U.S.
- Must have successfully managed and completed at least one similar commissioned project with a budget equal to or greater than the proposed budget
- Must provide samples of previous work to illustrate style, qualifications and experience.